A thank you from your winner, Mike 🏆🎉

As winner of the Kilogram Zone, with the most votes from students, Mike Hinchey wins a €500 prize to spend on more engineering engagement activities!

I’m really delighted – and extremely surprised – to be chosen as the winner. Thanks to all of you who voted for me! Even if you didn’t vote for me, thanks for joining in a really interesting process and a really interesting few weeks.

We can’t all be engineers (what a boring world it would be if we all did the same thing!) but I hope I’m an Engineer has convinced some of you that a career in engineering could be right for you. Even if it didn’t, hopefully it gave you a better awareness and appreciation of engineering and how it’s used in so many areas: in everything from entertainment and games, to medical devices and healthcare, through to robotics and space exploration. But, I’m hopeful that at least some of you that I spoke to will become engineers.

Thanks to my colleagues at University of Limerick and at NASA for helping me gain an appreciation for science and engineering and how they have such an impact on just about everything we do.

I have to admit, I found some of your questions hard, especially those that were more general and asking about the working day, and what was hard and what was easy. They certainly required some thought. Some of your scientific questions were tricky too (remember, I’m an engineer, not an astrophysicist!) Thanks to the moderators for giving some short breaks – your questions came fast and furious. It was a very well-organised event.

I think I managed to answer all of your questions except two:

• The social network I declined to become involved in at the start is LinkedIn
  • My former student co-wrote the highest grossing (not highest selling) song of all-time; it’s A Whiter Shade of Pale which was a hit for Procol Harum in the Summer of 1967. That’s before I was born, and long before any of you were. Maybe your grandparents remember it?

Thanks again to all of you! Keeping exploring, questioning, and learning!

I hope that at some point in the future at least some of you will participate in I’m an Engineer as engineers.

Mike Hinchey
Kilogram Zone winner

Posted on March 30, 2021 by modtom in News. Leave a comment